Around the turn of the 20th Century, Charles Rollins Bunting (great-great Grandfather of the present Buntings) purchased the property where the Angler restaurant now stands. At that time there was no dock, only marsh grass through which the Buntings pulled their sail bateaux and row boats to shore.

While the elder Bunting worked on a fish pound boat, his 5 sons began the small fishing business. As business grew and a dock was needed, the Buntings were issued Ocean City's first dock permit. Lumber was brought in from West Ocean City by a scow, for the only access to the island other than by water was over a narrow railroad bridge. When completed, the Bunting dock became a favourite relaxation spot.

Local residents and visitors alike enjoyed sitting out over the quiet bay waters. As the years wore on, the 5 sons went on to pursue their own careers. In the winter of 1934, Charles' son William returned to Ocean City from North Carolina. A year later, he bought a house and property adjoining his father's dock. There he built a small 20'x20' building where he sold fishing bait, cool sodas and rented small boats.

His wife Louise, an enterprising young woman, started selling homemade pies. It soon became obvious that they needed to serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. Small tables were placed in the fishing office and it became a combined business adventure.